Leadership

Relay Pumping Saves School

Issue 2 and Volume 104.

Relay Pumping Saves School A fire of undetermined origin early on the morning of August 1 gutted the auditorium stage of the Leland, Michigan, school causing a loss estimated at $7,500. The blaze was also the baptism of fire for the recently constructed pumper of the Leland Volunteer Fire Department. The fire was discovered by summer resortcrs living across from the school when they awoke to find their home filled with smoke. They drove to the nearby fire station and notified Chief Ernie Van Zee. Chief Van Zee sounded the alarm siren and responded with the new truck. First arriving volunteers found the 1 1/2-story, fire-resistant building heavily charged with smoke, and the varnished pine walls and ceiling of the stage enveloped in flame. Using recently acquired gas masks, firemen laid three 1 1/2-inch lines into the building. The fire, which buckled steelwork in the adjoining gymnasium, was confined to…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now