Leadership

TARDY ALARM, WRONG ADDRESS CONTRIBUTE TO HEAVY FIRE LOSS

Issue 6 and Volume 104.

TARDY ALARM, WRONG ADDRESS CONTRIBUTE TO HEAVY FIRE LOSS Top Two Floors of Apartment Building Gutted by Fire Originating in Living Room Couch A FIRE, which was described as the worst in 20 years, caused damage unofficially estimated at from $700,000 to $1,000,000, to an apartment building in Passaic, New Jersey, on April 19th. The blaze occurred in the five-story Tudor Apartments at Broadway and Gregory Avenue. The brick building was built in 1925, and contained 96 apartments and 13 stores, two of which were empty at the time of the fire. Approximately 400 persons were left homeless by the fire, which began in a fifth floor apartment shortly before 7:30 P.M. It started when a five-year-old boy accidentally dropped or knocked a lighted candle under a living room couch. When his mother recovered it, the couch was already smoldering. She tried to douse the flames with a pan of…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now