Leadership

Votive Candle Burns Girl

Issue 8 and Volume 109.

Votive Candle Burns Girl Laboratory tests were ordered made of a fabric worn by a 16-year-old girl, after she had suffered severe burns on June 16 last, when her clothing became ignited, it is said, by a votive candle at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Joan of Arc, New York City. The girl, Alice Schroder, was wearing a peach-colored flared skirt and black blouse bought only a few days before. She and her mother were standing about two feet from the votive candles, and near an open window. In some unexplained manner the girl’s clothing burst into flames. Other members of the congregation pulled the garments from her body and beat out the fire. A private car took her to the hospital. After an anonymous telephone caller later notified the fire department, Fire Commissioner Edward F. Cavanagh, Jr., directed Martin Scott, Chief Fire Marshal, to have tests made of…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now