Anoka Reaches Century Mark The Anoka, Minn., Fire Department is celebrating the 100th anniversary of its founding. It had its beginning when an independent volunteer company was incorporated under the name of Protection Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1. The first apparatus was a hand-drawn hook and ladder which the members built themselves in 1857 from spruce logs they hauled from the swamps. The members also built a hall and in the following year presented the building and the apparatus to the city. Today the department has 26 volunteer members and four paid men who operate three pumpers, a rural pumper, a quad and an ambulance as well as a rescue boat. Besides serving the City of Anoka, the fire department contracts with eight townships and one village, covering an area of approximately 230 square miles.