Leadership

Greenwich Country Club Lost After Explosion

Issue 11 and Volume 113.

Greenwich Country Club Lost After Explosion A pre-dawn fire on September 5th routed 42 persons from their beds and destroyed the three-story clubhouse of the Greenwich Country Club at Greenwich. Conn., causing damage estimated by Fire Chief Stuart M. Potter at between $750,000 and one million dollars. Kenneth Singer, a resident of the club, and Civil Defense director at Greenwich, alerted the other occupants when he smelled smoke. All fled the structure safely. Firemen had to help one elderly couple from a second-floor room by ladder. Fire officials said the blaze started shortly before 4 a.m. apparently in the basement where the kitchen and grill, conference, storage and locker rooms are located. Chief Potter said an air conditioner had apparently exploded from the heat. Flames then came through the floor of the grill room, and the building quickly turned into a mass of flames. During the height of the fire…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now