Monroe County Volunteers Alert to Pesticides Firemen of Ridge-Culver Fire District, Irondequoit, N. Y., fighting a $30,000 blaze that destroyed a 70-year-old barn on July 28, rushed for their masks when the telltale odor of rotton turnips and sauerkraut began to permeate the atmosphere. The reason for their alarm was a number of bags of phosphate-type insecticide stored in the barn, and giving off deadly fumes. Chief Oscar Metcalf of the RidgeCulver volunteers and his men managed to drive a track from the barn, unharmed, but the danger of a 500-gallon gasoline tank exploding prevented a similar rescue of a stake track loaded with peach baskets. Answering a call for mutual aid were units from Pt. Pleasant, Laurelton and St. Paul.