Leadership

Opelika Department Grows with the Town

Issue 1 and Volume 117.

Opelika Department Grows with the Town —Photos by C. H. Jernigan A HORSE-DRAWN chemical wagon and some 1,500 feet of hose constituted the original fire defenses of the Town of Opelika, Ala., in the year 1906 when the department was organized. Legend has it that, when the wagon arrived, the town fathers didn’t have enough money to get it out of the depot. But happily, they were bailed out from this embarrassing situation by one Louis F. Dickson, a substantial citizen, who put up $2,750 to get the rig unloaded and in service at the new permanent building located at 707 Avenue A. The population of Opelika in 1906 consisted of 4,000 inhabitants, with three paid firemen, one a chief who received $60 a month and two privates at $35 each. A municipal water system covered most of the built-up section of town, and rounded out the fire defenses with…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now