Leadership

Cincinnati F. D. Reclaims Historic Alarm Bell

Issue 2 and Volume 128.

Cincinnati F. D. Reclaims Historic Alarm Bell Features An historic, 120-year-old bell hanging in the southwest bell tower of the University of Cincinnati’s Ohio College of Applied Science, Central Parkway and Walnut Street, was removed in October on permanent loan to the Cincinnati Fire Division Museum, Ninth and Broadway. Cast around 1853, the bell weighs over 1000 pounds. Its removal and transport required full rigging operations. Some 10 firemen from Ladder Company No. 1 and Engine Company No. 3, under the direction of city Fire Chief Bert Lugannani, climbed 90-foot aerial ladders to take the bell from its perch and return it to the Cincinnati Fire Department. The old Ohio Mechanics Institute Evening College building (1850-1911) stood next to the Gifts Engine House, a fire station at Sixth and Vine Streets. Because the station was just two stories high, the city’s only fire watch tower and bell were built atop…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now