Leadership

Two Fire Fighters Killed Trying to Ventilate Roof

Issue 9 and Volume 135.

Two Fire Fighters Killed Trying to Ventilate Roof features Two volunteer fire fighters died and a third was severely burned in the collapse of a store roof they were ventilating during a mutual-aid fire in historic Stillwater, the birthplace of Minnesota. Two other fire fighters were injured in the $600,000 blaze that gutted a meat market and adjacent clothing store during the height of a 17-inch snowstorm during the night last Jan. 22. Previous remodeling of the two 90year-old buildings on Main St. would not have met current building codes. The deficiencies contributed to communication of the fire and surprise collapse of the roof, according to David Chial, chief of the Stillwater Fire Department. Started at oven The fire is believed to have started in or near an overheated sausage smoking oven at the rear of the first floor of Brine’s meat market and restaurant, he explained. The three-story establishment,…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now