Training evolution results in tragedy Dispatches Earlier this year, two members of the Arlington, TX, Fire Department were electrocuted (one fatally) while performing a routine training exercise outside quarters. Firefighter Ronald B. Snow had been demonstrating the procedures used to raise a portable ladder in a narrow area between buildings. As the 28-foot aluminum extension ladder was being extended, it came into contact with high voltage transmission wires. At presstime, a fire official said that the second firefighter, Carlos A. Tumpkin III, was believed to have returned to full duty. Firefighter Tumpkin lost a toe in the incident.