Philadelphia, PA, November 28, 2001-Four firefighters suffered CO poisoning in their fire station as a result of a blockage in the building’s ventilation system.
One firefighter, who was on night watch, felt ill during the early morning hours and went to check on the three other firefighters in the station. He realized something was seriously wrong when he had difficulty awakening them. The night watchman dragged the three firefighters outside the station. Two were transported to a hospital and placed in a chamber with special oxygen pumps.
At the time of the incident, there were no CO detectors in the fire station. They have now been installed. The local firefighters’ union has been fighting a department policy that does not call for installing CO detectors in fire stations.