Fire EMS

Multiple-Patient CO Incident Yields Lessons

Issue 5 and Volume 161.

By Brandon Johnson and Mike McEvoy On August 16, 2007, at 10:30 a.m., the Hebron (KY) Fire Protection District was dispatched to an unknown gas problem in a private residence. The dispatch center advised it had lost contact with the caller but still had an open line. Initial response included an engine, an ambulance, a chief, and a sheriff’s patrol. Arriving units found an ashen, 15-year-old male sitting in the driveway. He was alert but disoriented and complained of a headache. He had been inside the residence and was awakened by his ringing cell phone and then noticed the smell of “propane or something.” He proceeded to phone a nearby relative and then unsuccessfully tried to awaken three other people inside the residence. After calling 911, he left the house to await the fire department’s arrival. Fire crews on-scene donned breathing apparatus and made entry into the residence to locate…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now