Several firefighters were treated for potential exposure to toxic particulate matter after extinguishing a fire in a New Bedford (MA) middle school science classroom, according to news reports. Earlier in the day, hazmat crews had cleaned out an acid wash tank in the classroom which had filled with chemicals several weeks ago. As a precaution, the firefighters were transpoorted to a local hospital to be treated and evaluated, although there was no immediate word of injuries.
The fire was contained to the involved room and was extinguished with portable fire extinguishers. The fire appeared to have been caused by a chemical reaction.
Read more at bostonherald.com HERE.