Firefighting

Carbon Monoxide Poisons 10 in CT

A generator run inside a Meriden (CT) building sent 10 residents to local hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms on early Tuesday.

Firefighters responded to a medical emergency at the building in the early morning after one resident called saying that a child was having a seizure, according to a report from The Hartford Courant (http://cour.at/suhXMJ). On arrival firefighters found other residents exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Four adults and six children were hospitalized and are expected to recover. Firefighters had to break down a door to access patients on the second floor of the structure. Officials believe the source of the carbon monoxide was a generator in the building’s basement.

For more on the dangers of carbon monoxide, read Suburban Firefighting: Carbon Monoxide Alarms.