Fire EMS, Firefighting

Five Adults Sickened by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in FL

By Brian Stoothoff

Ocala (FL) Fire Rescue received a 911 call this morning at 12:55 a.m. reporting several people being ill. On arrival a few minutes later, firefighters encountered extremely high levels of carbon monoxide. Wearing self-contained breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the residence, which had no electrical power. A gas generator was found operating inside the kitchen, the source of the carbon monoxide. Firefighters opened windows of the house and used fans to ventilate the structure. All five adults were removed and transported to a local hospital by ambulance. The house was located at 1008 Northeast 17th Avenue.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It can be produced from many household appliances such as malfunctioning gas water heaters and stoves. Gas run generators, wood burning fireplaces, and motor vehicles also produce this deadly gas. Firefighters recommend never operating a generator inside a house. Early signs of poisoning include headache, sleepiness, nausea, and dizziness.

In the photo, firefighters prepare to leave the scene after the five adults were treated