An 8-year-old Brooklyn (NY) boy died Saturday after a space heater started a fire in his house, reports The New York Times.
Firefighters found “heavy fire” conditions just before 3 a.m. when they arrived at a two-story redbrick house, a fire department spokesman said.
The fire began on the ground floor.
The boy, whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at the scene. Eight other people escaped, the police said.
Another fire broke out early Saturday at an apartment complex in Hempstead on Long Island, injuring 11 people and leaving as many as 250 homeless, the Nassau County police said. At least one person was killed. No cause was immediately given.
Read more of the story here http://nyti.ms/153bOEf