WA Firefighter Briefly Engulfed in Flames

A Washington state firefighter escaped injury after he was briefly engulfed in flames while fighting a fire that officials say may have been caused by a man who used a lighter to look under his bed, reports The Columbian.

A Camas man didn’t have a flashlight and used a lighter to look under his bed, fire officials said.

Twenty two fire personnel from Camas-Washougal Fire District and East County Fire & Rescue responded to the blaze, reported at 9:35 a.m. to a unit at 256 S.E. Weir Street, Camas.

When crews arrived, they found smoke and flames showing from a second floor bedroom and quickly attacked the fire, Camas-Washougal Fire Chief Nick Swinhart said.

While attacking the flames with water, an unknown object fell from a window sill and exploded, briefly engulfing a firefighter in flames, he said. His partner quickly turned the hose onto the crew member, and the firefighter escaped injury.

Read more of the story here