A neighbor rescued eight toddlers from a burning Central City (LA) apartment building, reports nola.com.
According to a statement from the New Orleans Fire Department, the fire took over a one-story shotgun double and quickly spread to a neighboring two-unit building.
Before firefighters arrived on the scene, a neighbor broke into the burning building and rescued eight children, all between the ages of 3 and 5, who were inside the residence at the time.
Firefighters said that when they first arrived on the scene, they were unaware that children had been inside the building.
The fire, which started in the bedroom but quickly spread to the kitchen of the home, was elevated to two-alarm status when firefighters realized the flames had spread to another apartment building in the rear. The owner of that building was in the process of renovating the home and was not present at the time of the fire. Thirteen units carrying 43 firefighters were finally able to get the fire under control.
When investigators later spoke with neighbors, they learned of the children that were rescued. Upon speaking with the children, firefighters determined that the fire had been sparked when one of the boys who had been playing with fire in the bedroom where the children were all staying, ended up setting fire to a mattress.
It is unclear whether any other people were at the home at the time, and no injuries were reported. The New Orleans Police Department and the Department of Children and Family Services were called to the scene to investigate the condition and custody of the eight children, a statement from NOFD said.
Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/XJcZTv