A fire in Arizona’s Prescott National Forest that has consumed about 10 square miles of brush and timber is 10 percent contained, reports USA Today.
The winds are expected to die down Saturday, while humidity levels may go up, which would aid firefighting efforts, incident commander Tony Sciacca said.
“We can bump the containment up quickly when the wind dies,” Sciacca said. “If Mother Nature cooperates in the next couple of days, we hope to tell you we have more containment.”
Costs so far to fight the human-caused fire, Arizona’s first major wildfire of the summer, are between $2.4 million to $2.6 million.
More than 600 federal, state and local firefighters have been battling the Doce Fire about 8 miles northwest of Prescott in Granite Mountain Wilderness since it was reported at 11 a.m. Tuesday. It is so named because it started near the Doce Pit, a popular target-shooting area.
Mandatory evacuation orders affecting 465 homes remain in place, Sciacca said. He could not give an indication when residents can return home.
Read more of the story here http://usat.ly/1236EXX