By Ed Comeau
As schools and communities are getting ready for Campus Fire Safety Month, here are some free resources that might be helpful. All of these are available at the Campus Firewatch “At-a-Glance” page under the RESOURCE tab.
- Campus Firewatch At-a-Glance Resource List
- 9 Fires This short documentary is about the impact of a series of nine fires that happened in three weeks across the nation. It is available for viewing and download, either in its entirety or as chapters focusing on off-campus, on-campus and laboratory.
- Tip-a-Day This is Campus Firewatch’s annual Twitter campaign of fire safety tips with links to videos, posters and more.
- Current Information Sheet This is an “at-a-glance” compilation of fatal campus-related fire deaths that Campus Firewatch has identified since 2000.
- Campus-related fire deaths (spreadsheet) This is a spreadsheet-formatted listing of fatal campus-related fire deaths. This is the most complete listing of these incidents available.
- Campus-related fire deaths (map) This is a map of every fatal incident identified by Campus Firewatch going back to 2000. It also includes the embed code if you would like to embed this map on your web site as well.
- Campus Fatal Firelog This is a more complete compilation of the campus-related fire deaths since 2000 with details on each incident gathered by Campus Firewatch.
- RA Fire Safety Guide, Posters and Videos The Minger Foundation and Campus Firewatch created these resources for RA’s to use in teaching fire safety to the students on their floors.
- Questions to Ask Campus Firewatch has published its annual Questions to Ask for parents and students that are looking for both on- and off-campus student housing.
- Videos of Student Room Mockup Burns More schools across the nation are using the mockup burns as effective learning tools. Watch this series of videos from various schools to see these powerful education tools in action.
- Student Mockup Burn Plans The Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition has put together a packet of instructions on how to build side-by-side mockups of student rooms.
- Peter’s Story A very powerful video about the life and death of Peter Talen who died in an off-campus fire at the University of Wisconsin Madison.
- Fire Safety for Students With Disabilities The Minger Foundation and Campus Firewatch developed a guide and a series of videos to help in teaching fire safety to students with disabilities.