Fire Prevention & Protection, Firefighting, Structural Firefighting

Heater Blamed for El Paso (TX) Structure Fire

by George De La Torre

At approximately 10:39 a.m. on November 30, firefighters were dispatched to a house fire at 5125 Tetons Drive in El Paso, Texas. Upon arrival, at approximately 10:42 a.m., firefighters saw light smoke coming from the single-story home. No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

Firefighters placed the fire under control within 20 minutes. A fire investigator determined a wall-mounted heater in the living room ignited a stud causing the fire. The fire traveled through the wall to the attic space. Firefighters contained the fire to the living room wall area and attic space causing an estimated $5,000.00 in fire damage. The home sustained very light smoke damage.

“Due to the quick actions taken by neighbors in reporting the smoke to 911, firefighters were able to contain and stop the fire from causing further damage,” Battalion Chief Michael Moss said.

Approximately 9 units and 22 firefighters responded to this incident.

For more on related dangers, consider U.S. Fire Administration Releases Report on Portable Heater Fires and USFA Releases Residential Building Heating Fires, Portable Heater Fires Topical Reports.