Three Jersey City Firefighters Suffer Electrical Shocks

Three Jersey City Firefighters Suffer Electrical Shocks
Photo from the scene by Ron Jeffers.

Three firefighters suffered electrical shocks, another suffered a cut to the bridge of his nose and a civilian suffered smoke inhalation at a two-alarm apartment building fire, reports The Jersey Journal.

Firefighters responding to the fire west of Kennedy Boulevard found flames that started in the rear of the basement of the vacant building and were spreading up the rear of the three-story building, Fire Department Deputy Chief Kevin Stewart said.

The first firefighter who was shocked was attempting to cut off the electrical power in the building’s basement and firefighting efforts were hampered by the live wires until Public Service Electric & Gas responded and shut the power at a utility pole, Stewart said at the scene.

The fire was under control in about an hour, but not before it had raced up the rear of the building and into the attic, causing heavy damage, Stewart said.

The building is under renovation. A painter in the building suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center. The captain and two firefighters who were shocked were also taken to the Medical Center but they, as well as the firefighter who suffered a cut, and the painter, are expected to be OK, Stewart said.

Read more of the story here