Four firefighters were hurt while battling a massive fire at a latex bedding factory in Shelton that damaged $3.5 million in stock alone, reports NBC Connecticut.
Officials from Latex International Foam factory told the fire marshal that the damage estimate accounts for smoke damage alone. It does not include damaged equipment or what it will take to remove water thousands of gallons of contaminated water from the property.
The fire broke out just after 1 a.m. in the basement of the River Road factory, which produces latex bedding and mattresses, while workers were inside.
Fire alarms went off and everyone made it out safely, but four firefighters were injured while battling the flames.
One firefighter broke an arm and three others suffered heat exhaustion, fire officials said.
“When the first units came in, they found heavy fire load in the basement area, in the dryers,” said Shelton Assistant Fire Chief Nick Verdicchio.
Latex International released a statement saying the company regrets that firefighters were injured and appreciates the quick response.
“At this stage, the company is working on ways of minimizing any disruption of service to its customers. Our top priority is restoring manufacturing capability to cause the least disruption to our customers,” Latex International President and Chief Executive Officer David Fisher said in a statement.
Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/1jQnqPL