Firefighters battled a fire that broke out early Monday at a high-rise apartment complex in Lakewood, Colorado.
A firefighters and four residents reportedly suffered minor injuries in the fire at the 13-story building, according to FOX 31 (http://bit.ly/1m2ZfSy). The report said the fire was started by a resident on the sixth floor who was smoking in bed with an oxygen tank.
According to West Metro PIO Michelle French, West Metro Fire dispatchers received multiple 911 calls from residents at 6:17 a.m. and the first crews arrived on scene at the Ridgmoor Apartment Homes at 6:23 a.m. The building was partially evacuated however, but there were reports of parties trapped. Firefighters searched and were able to remove all the residents.
Twelve people requested medical attention on scene and four patients were transported to local hospitals. One West Metro firefighter was transported to a local hospital. The firefighter was released and returned to duty.
The fire was called out at 7:05 a.m. One dog and two cats died in the fire.
- Smoking Near Oxygen Tanks Eyed in Deadly PA Fire
- Oxygen Cylinders Explode During “Routine” Vehicle Fire
- Fatal MA Fire Caused by Smoking and Oxygen