Fire Prevention & Protection, Firefighting

Residents Escape Illinois Apartment Fire; Firefighter Hurt

Discarded smoking materials were blamed for a Batavia (IL) apartment fire that injured a firefighter Monday, according to a news report.

The Chicago Sun-Times (http://bit.ly/1yGHBs5) reported that investigators determined the fire began on the third floor balcony of the three-story structure. The fire damaged the roof, and an apartment suffered smoke and water damage, the report said.

All residents of the apartment managed to escape thanks to a working smoke detector, the report said.

One firefighter reportedly suffered a minor, unspecified injury.

Read more about this fire at http://bit.ly/1yGHBs5.

This year, National Fire Prevention Week focused on raising the public’s awareness about the need for working smoke detectors.

In a report from 2012, Massachusetts state fire marshals said that changing smoking behavior has resulted in more fires starting on the exterior of structures.