According to the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving Day is the leading day for home fires involving cooking equipment. Fortunately, most of these fires are preventable by taking easy precautions.
Ocala Fire Rescue and NFPA encourage you to follow these safety measures to ensure your Thanksgiving Day is happy and safe.
- Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires. Don’t leave your stove while it is in use. If you must leave, assign an adult to keep an eye on the stove.
- Stay home while the turkey is in the oven, and check on it frequently.
- Keep children at least 3 feet away from your cooking area, preferably out of the kitchen. Keep knives, matches, and utility lighters out of the reach of little ones.
- Maintain floors clear of toys and spills to avoid falls.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire – oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, etc. – away from the stovetop or appliances which generate heat.
- If you have toddlers in the home, remove placemats and tablecloths which could be pulled and cause hot or heavy items to fall on the child.
- When using candles for décor, place in sturdy holders and away from combustible materials.
- After your guests leave, have a family member complete a safety check to ensure all candles and smoking materials have been extinguished.