Five people were taken to area hospitals today after a two-alarm fire at a Harrison Township apartment building, reports The Detroit Free Press.
The cause of the fire, reported between 4 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. at Brittany Park apartments, is believed to be a cooking fire that got out of control, Township Fire Sgt. Christian Syoen said.
He said those taken to hospitals had minor injuries, such as smoke inhalation, a slight burn and frostbite.
Firefighters were called to the 12-unit building at the complex, which is near I-94 and Shook Road, for a kitchen fire in a second-floor unit. They heard people were trapped in the third-floor unit directly above the fire, Syoen said.
He said fire crews found people on the third floor at windows asking for help. Crews from the township and Mt. Clemens extinguished the fire and rescued those who were trapped.
Read more of the story here http://on.freep.com/14qVyBm