Firefighting

Space Heater Suspected in Fatal University City (MO) House Fire

A space heater is believed to have caused the Wednesday night fire that claimed the lives of a 4-year-old boy, 6-year-old girl and their grandmother, reports CBS St. Louis.

The victims are 4-year-old Trevion Dunger, 6-year-old Kaliyah Dunger, and their 78-year-old grandmother Mamie Williams.

University City Fire Chief Adam Long tells KMOX that one of the four family members who escaped the smoke-filled home in the 1000 block of Roth told him it appeared the fire started near a space heater in a first floor sunroom.

“We’re not sure if there were combustibles too close or if the heater or the electric were faulty,” Long says. “We’e still trying to determine that right now.”

Long says that relative tried to reach the woman and children on the second floor, “but there was just nothing that he could have done.”

Read more of the story here http://cbsloc.al/16mvFmi