Fire Prevention & Protection, Firefighting

Man, Son Escape Indianapolis (IN) Fire

Structural Firefighting: Man, Son Escape Indianapolis (IN) Fire

Info and photo courtesy the Indianapolis Fire Department

A man and his son escaped through a window after their home caught fire Monday in Indianapolis, Indiana. They were transported for in good conditoin for examination, and one firefighter was transported to an area medical facility to be checked out for a slight steam burn.

The residents said the fire was started by a space heater too close to some curtains. The man told firefighters that they were using the space heater for additional heat in the family room. The man stated that his five-year-old son alerted him to the fire, which the man tried to extinguish with water to no avail. The family had no working smoke detectors in the home due to dead batteries. 

Fire crews found heavy black smoke showing at the scene and commenced an aggressive interior attack. The fire was marked under control in 20 minutes.

The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) would like to remind residents to have at least one working smoke detector in their home at all times.  The city ordinance passed in April of 2014 requires all homes in Marion County have at least one detector with a 10 year sealed lithium battery.

MORE IFD NEWS