Fire Prevention & Protection, Firefighting

Fire Damages Landmark Wilmette (IL) Building

Structural Firefighting: Fire Damages Landmark Wilmette (IL) Building

Fire heavily damaged the landmark Woman’s Club of Wilmette in Wilmette, Illinois, and fire photographer Tim Olk was on scene to capture photos of the incident.

The Chicago Trubune (http://trib.in/1Bm30vt) reported that a space heater is suspected of causing the fire that struck the landmark brick and stone building.

A resident who lived at the site for the past 20 years told the paper that he ran upstairs to find his family’s bedroom engulfed in flames. He reportedly tried to fight the fire with an extinguisher, but was unsuccessful.

Flames shot through the roof of the 2.5-story building and thick black smoke billowed into the sky as firefighters fought the fire, which resulted in a wall collapse. The report said crews were ordered out of the structure due to the large amount of fire, truss construction and heavy HVAC equipment on the roof.

See more photos from this fire HERE.

See more of Tim’s work: www.olkee.smugmug.com

MORE TIM OLK