Reno firefighters battled a fire that devoured a three story apartment, leaving more than 50 residents displaced, three hospitalized and several animals hurt early Tuesday morning in south Reno, reports The Reno Gazette Journal.
Crews responded to three fire alarms that went off just before 3 a.m. at the Lakeside Plaza Condos on 2955 Lakeside Drive, firefighters said on the department’s Twitter feed.
Two residents suffered from smoke inhalation and were taken to local hospitals. Another resident was also hospitalized for an unrelated medical condition, Reno Battalion Chief Bob Leighton said.
Meanwhile, one dog was resuscitated and taken to an emergency veterinarian, while another animal perished in the fire, he said.
The fire sparked on the first floor and spread to the second and third floors of the apartment, Leighton said. Fire crews preformed about 30 rescues.
“The center hallway of the apartment complex was covered in heavy black smoke,” Leighton said. “All occupants were trapped inside several of the units.
“We had to rescue people from all three floors,” he said. “And they’re still looking for more animals.”
Read more of the story here http://on.rgj.com/1MLq4o5