Firefighting

Indianapolis Firefighters Respond to Working Apartment Fire with Entrapment

 Indianapolis Firefighters Respond to Working Apartment Fire with Entrapment

By Rita Reith

Firefighters from Ladder 9 rescued two people after fire broke out in their apartment building, trapping them on the third floor. The pair were seen by incoming firefighters from their third floor window, yelling for help. After unsuccessfully trying to make it outside through the smoke filled hallway, they retreated back into the apartment and awaited firefighters arrival.

SEE PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE >>


Their pets, a two-year-old Border Collie and a seven-year-old cat, were gently tossed out the window to neighbors below and are all right. The occupants were checked by medics on scene and released.

One apartment resident told firefighters that he was heating grease on the stove when he briefly walked away from it. When he returned, the grease on the stove had caught fire, and he escaped.

The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind residents to never leave food–especially grease–on the stove unattended.  Always heat grease slowly and have two methods of extinguishment nearby such as a lid or extinguisher.

Approximately 70 firefighters responded to the scene. Crews used five handlines and three supply lines in their suppression efforts. Damage was estimated at about $750,000.

For individual FE videos.

MORE IFD NEWS