Fire EMS, Firefighting

Charlestown (MA) Fire Displaces Family and Injures Firefighter

A one-alarm fire in Charlestown Saturday displaced a family of six, killed several pets, and sent a Boston firefighter to the hospital, reports The Boston Globe (http://bit.ly/1C3JoYL)

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said firefighters arrived at 311 Main St. at 11:40 a.m., where a two-story wood-frame house was in flames. The fire was extinguished about 20 minutes later. MacDonald said the two adults and four children who live in the building were not present during the fire, but several pets, including at least four dogs and some cats, perished.

One firefighter was taken by Boston EMS personnel to Massachusetts General Hospital with minor neck injuries, MacDonald said.

Fire Department officials determined the fire was caused by an electrical short-circuit on an appliance on the top floor, and they estimated damages could be as much as $350,000. Flames also melted the siding of an adjacent building.