MILFORD, Connecticut—A candle was the cause of a major fire in Milford late Saturday, completely gutting 2 homes on Melba Street and severely damaging a third. Crews from Milford and West Haven knocked down the blaze. There were no injuries.
The Fire Department responded to 74 Melba St. for a building fire at 1:36 p.m. Saturday. Upon arrival, heavy fire conditions were already well advanced in the single family home, said Gregory Carman, a captain and Fire Department spokesman.
“One person was at home when he noticed smoke starting to fill the building and was able to leave without injury,” Carman said. “Fire crews began an aggressive attack on the fire but the winds kept the fire intensity strong and the fire began to spread to the adjoining buildings.”
Additional fire crews were called to the scene as operations switched to a defensive mode to keep the fire from spreading any further, Carman said. Besides the winds, water pressure in the area became a problem until the water company was able to boost the pressure and additional manpower was used to stretch supply hose to other water mains, Carman said.
Fire crews from Stratford and West Haven were stationed in Milford to cover any other emergency calls while city firefighters were busy at the fire scene.
For more details and updates see http://patch.com/connecticut/milford/massive-house-fire-milford-thousands-without-power-0