Large Fire Destroys Webster (NY) Upholstery Business

Fire destroyed a Webster upholstery business Sunday night. It started around 9 p.m. at Steve’s Custom Canvas and Upholstery on County Line Road, reports

Cleanup and damage assessment was needed Monday morning after the fire ripped through the business that sat on the corner of the Monroe-Wayne County border along Route 104.

Union Hill Fire Department’s Deputy Chief says Sunday night the fire started during high winds when a piece of metal siding touched a power line and began sparking. The fire then spread through the building, eventually causing the roof to collapse.  

The owner of the business was inside the building when he saw the flashes and sparks from the siding touching the power line. He says it initially looked like a minor issue. He called RG&E and started pulling supplies away from the building and pulled boats out of the facility, but says suddenly a fire started and quickly spread. Fire crews called the building a total loss.

Steven Palis has been in business since 1991. The 9,000 square foot building was a full service year-round custom canvas manufacturer. At the time of the fire, there were boats, cars, awnings and upholstery inside the building.

“I pulled all the boats out last night, when the fire had started in the corner outside, I pulled everything away…All these boats were against the building, every one of them. I had some help last night, two boats were inside, and I pulled out a lot of work that was for customers…so now it’s time to rebuild,” said Palis.

“Being so close to us it was a little scary last night,” said neighbor Dave Austin. “Luckily the wind was going the opposite way. We told him if there is anything he needs we will definitely help with that. We have known him a long, long time. He has been a neighbor for quite a while here. If he needs any help we are here.”

No one was injured, but Palis says some of his customers belongings were damaged in the fire.

Read more of the story here