Boy Dies from Injuries in Springfield (MO) House Fire

A 4-year-old boy who was injured in a house fire in west Springfield on Thursday afternoon died early Friday. A neighbor pulled the four year old from the burning home on West Lee Street, reports

The Springfield Fire Department said the father was asleep when the flames broke out. When he woke up to smoke, he quickly grabbed his 1-year-old son and ran outside. The 4-year-old boy was still inside the burning home, and was rescued by a neighbor, Theron Teeter.

A fire investigator tells us 4-year-old Bentley Garrison had burns over 90 percent of his body, and to his knowledge, the child never regained consciousness. He passed away just before 2:00 Friday morning.

Teeter told KY3 Thursday he kicked in the back door of the burning home to rescue the child. “I looked over to the left, and there was a little boy sitting there slumped over, literally sitting in the fire, so I just reached in, grabbed him by his shirt, pulled him out,” Teeter said.

The tragedy happened at the boy’s grandparent’s house. Investigators say the fire started in the area where Bentley was found, in a back room that contained a water heater as well as stored gasoline.

Read more of the story here