Firefighting, News

Two Killed in GA Fire Started by Space Heater

A space heater was ruled the cause of a Wednesday fire that left two people dead in Stateboro, Georgia.

The Statesboro Herald reported that the City of Statesboro Fire Department responded to a residential fire early on November 13. Firefighters made entry and found the victims—one female, 44, and a male, 20, deceased. The female was transported in critical condition but succumbed to her injuries, the report said.

Statesboro Fire Chief Tim Grams told reporters that the fire was caused by clothing being too close to a space heater in the master bedroom. Two other people were able to escape the fire unharmed. No smoke detectors were found in the home.

The early weeks of November brought with it a significant cold front stretching across many states, and with the cold weather comes additional considerations for firefighting crews. In addition to operational issues, there is the chance that residents may use a variety of heating appliances, which may increase their fire risks.

WJCL: Statesboro family devastated after mother, son are killed in overnight house fire

WTCO: Mother, son killed in overnight Statesboro fire