SARATOGA SPRINGS, Utah (AP) — Residents in a community on the shore of Utah Lake were allowed to return home Monday after a wildfire prompted the evacuation of about 3,100 homes Sunday.
The fire near Saratoga Springs destroyed one home and damaged 12 others, city officals said Monday.
The blaze had spread to nearly 19 square miles (49 square kilometers) and was 25% contained Monday afternoon.
The Knolls Fire started south of the community on the shore of Utah Lake on Sunday. in strong winds and heat.
Meanwhile, a wildfire sparked by fireworks in the Lehi area forced out residents of houses and an apartment building early Sunday before crews managed to turn back the blaze as it encroached on a neighborhood, officials said.
A suspect was cooperating with law enforcement, Utah Fire Info said in a tweet. Fireworks are prohibited in the area.
Strong wind gusts had been reported in the area as the Traverse Fire grew to about 450 acres (200 hectares) before it was completely contained Monday.
Content copyright the Associated Press. © copyright 2020. All rights reserved.