>> The Campbell Fire Department, LaCrosse, Wisconsin, protects a densely populated urban area that is only partially covered by hydrants. Chief Nate Melby says the department uses this DANKO tanker to fight urban fires with rural water supply practices. On interstate highway calls, it uses the apparatus to block traffic while operating and uses Class A and B foam for grass and vehicle fires. Pump-and-roll capability allows the department to use the bumper turret effectively.
- INTERNATIONAL 7500 4 × 6 chassis with 262-inch wheelbase and five-seat cab;
- INTERNATIONAL MaxxForce 10 350-hp diesel engine;
- ALLISON 3000 EVS automatic transmission;
- WATEROUS CGVK single-stage, 500-gpm pump with HYPRO Foam Pro 2001 system, two 1½-inch crosslays, two 2½-inch discharges, and a TFT Tornado front bumper turret;
- UPF 3,000-gallon water and two 20-gallon foam tanks;
- three 10-inch NEWTON dump valves;
- 3,000-gallon FOL-DA-TANK on rack;
- HANSCOM backup camera;
- ROTO GRIP tire chains; and
- six WHELEN scene lights on body.
>> The Holden (ME) Fire-Rescue Department designed this E-ONE pumper with a larger motor than its predecessor, which was underpowered, says Lieutenant Dale Wunder. It is the department’s lead engine and has a larger water tank and CAFS since only a small portion of its area has hydrants. It carries a rescue tool for response to frequent MVAs on a highway that leads to a tourist resort.
|Photo by Ryan Davis.|
- Typhoon chassis with 204-inch wheelbase and six-seat cab with medical cabinet and 10-inch raised roof;
- CUMMINS ISL 450-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 3000 EVS automatic transmission;
- HALE Qflo single-stage, 1,250-gpm pump with WATEROUS Eclipse foam system, one-inch front bumper line, one each 1¾- and 2½-inch rear preconnects, three crosslays (two 1¾-inch and one 2½-inch) (all of which are plumbed for CAFS), rear one-inch booster reel, AKRON Apollo Hi Riser monitor, and TFT Blitzfire hand monitor (on side);
- E-ONE 1,000-gallon water and 30-gallon foam tanks;
- seven wheel well sleeves for spare SCBA cylinders;
- HOLMATRO rescue tool;
- MEDTRONIC AED; and
- light and power with SMART POWER 10-kw hydraulic generator, COMMAND LIGHT Knight, four ROM floodlights (two each on brow and telescoping), eight WHELEN fixed scene lights, and one HANNAY electric cord reel.
>> The San Bernardino County (CA) Fire Department uses this KME 4 × 4 pumper to protect a mountain area that experiences snowfall. The feature helps to reduce tire chain requirements and provide better traction, says Support Services manager Dave Thompson. The vehicle was part of a larger order; the rest are 4 × 2 pumpers.
- Predator Severe Service XMFD chassis with 166-inch wheelbase and 10-inch raised roof cab with six seats.
- CUMMINS ISX 15 500-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVS automatic transmission;
- HALE Qmax, single-stage, 1,500-gpm pump with HYPRO Foam Pro 2002 system, four-inch intake, two-inch front bumper discharge reduced to 1½-inch (with preconnected 1¾-inch line for dumpster and vehicle fires) and 1½-inch deadload for optional use in other applications), two 1¾-inch crosslays, 2½-inch rear discharge, 2½-inch hosebed discharge preconnected to 1½-inch line for wildland fires, one-inch booster reel at rear and AKRON Apollo HiRiser deck gun;
- ROM roll-up compartment doors and four wheel well sleeves for spare SCBA cylinders;
- ZICO hydraulic ladder rack;
- ZOLL AED (ALS engine); and
- light and power with KUSSMAUL two-kw inverter, two ROM COLLINS DYNAMICS telescoping spot/floodlights behind cab, and two WHELEN flush mounted scene lights at rear.
Fire Engineering Archives