L.A. Fire Chief Presses Ahead with Ambulance Plan

Fire Chief Brian Cummings rejects a request from L.A. City Council members to delay shifting staff from fire engines to ambulances for 911 calls, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Council President Herb Wesson asked Friday that the Fire Department delay the changes, which are designed to address an increase in 911 medical calls, for three days so lawmakers can consider the effects of the reassignments.

The council has scheduled a hearing Tuesday to address what critics say are safety issues surrounding the new staffing plan.

But LAFD Battalion Chief Ronnie Villanueva said Cummings “is adamant” that the plan begin Sunday.

The shift would add 11 new ambulances to the LAFD’s fleet by removing one member per shift from 22 firetrucks across the city. Cummings says the plan is safe. But groups representing firefighters and many department commanders say it will put firefighters and the public at greater risk.

The issue was raised during Friday’s council session by two members who attempted to invoke a special procedure that would have allowed lawmakers to vote to officially request that Cummings delay the changes.

Council members Richard Alarcon and Paul Koretz said immediate action was needed because earlier that day, one of Cummings’ assistants testified at a committee hearing that the redeployment was risky.

According to Alarcon, Chief Deputy Daren Palacios said that having one less rescuer on a fire engine would be less safe for firefighters and the public.

Alarcon and Koretz withdrew their motion after a city lawyer said the legislative effort to order the chief to delay the change was inappropriate. Wesson then announced he would call the chief and ask Cummings to hold off.

Read more of the story here http://lat.ms/1099wNQ

No posts to display