A Year Later, Maine Firefighters Reflect on Deadly Fire

Orrington (ME) firefighters are heeding the lessons of a fire that killed a man and his three children last November.

Benjamin Johnson III, his daughter and two sons died in a house fire on November 10, 2010. There were no working smoke detectors in the home, according to a report from WABI TV5 (http://bit.ly/1cRnuAy). Officials said it was the deadliest fire in Maine in nearly 20 years.

About a week after the fire, the department hosted a free family fire safety class. They also started giving away free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and fire safety is being incorporated into curriculum at the local school.

For more on this story, go to http://bit.ly/1cRnuAy.

For more on public education initiatives and outreach, consider The True Meaning of Public “Education”, CREATING A DYNAMIC PUBLIC EDUCATION PROGRAM, and MARKETING YOUR FIRE DEPARTMENT THROUGH PUBLIC EDUCATION .

No posts to display