Fire in VA Town House Ignited By Smoldering Cigarettes

Cigarette butts thrown into a plastic trashcan in a bathroom caused a fire in a townhouse in the 9400 block of Beech Drive in the Georgetown South Community in Manassas, Virginia. Two residents are displaced.

Fire and rescue units from the City of Manassas, Manassas Park, and Prince William County responded to a report of a structure fire at 12:10PM on Thursday May 17, 2012.

Firefighters arrived on the scene and found an elderly female resident sitting outside on the curb and smoke coming from a middle unit townhouse.

Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire that burned the first floor bathroom and caused smoke damage throughout the townhouse.

The female resident, who lives with her adult son, told fire marshals that she was in the basement of the townhouse and heard the smoke detector at the top of the stairs sounding.

She climbed the stairs to the first floor and saw smoke in the kitchen and living room. She then exited the structure and called 911.

There were no injuries reported and damage is estimated at $10,000.

This is the fourth fire in the City of Manassas this year that was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials:

  • On March 12 at 1:45AM, firefighters extinguished a fire in a home on Quarry Road that caused over $100,000 and displaced three residents;
  • A fire on Forest Hill Circle in April displaced five residents when smoking materials ignited a fire on the rear deck and caused $50,000 in damage;
  • On April 20, 2012, an early morning fire displaced a family of four from a home on Long Hill Court and severely burned another family member when smoking materials ignited a fire in a second floor bedroom that caused $25,000 in damage. 

Chief Brett Bowman of the City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department stated, “I ask all of our citizens to help prevent fires like these from occurring in our community. Please be sure that cigarettes are completely extinguished and disposed of into a non-combustible container.”

The City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department will provide a smoke detector for residents’ home at no cost. To request a free smoke detector residents can contact at 703-257-8458 or by e-mail at firemarshal@manassasva.gov.

No posts to display