Guardian SSI Brings Student Cooking Safety Information to Campus Fire Forum 2014

Guardian Safety Solutions International, Inc. (GSSI), in the development and manufacturing of residential range top fire protection systems industries, will exhibit at the Campus Fire Forum 2014, November 10 – 13, at the Wyndham Hotel, Orlando. Representing more than 4,000 campuses, the Center for Campus Fire Safety is a nonprofit organization devoted to reducing the loss of life from fire at our nation’s campuses.

“Cooking fires cause more than $25 million in damages to college campuses each year. Campus fire safety is one of our top priorities, so we are delighted to demonstrate our ‘Guardian Solution’ range top suppression system that protects against a range top fire before it causes property damage or injuries to employees and students,” said Paul Rouse, Guardian SSI’s administrative officer. “While parents send their kids off to college with safety as a top priority, fear of kitchen fires ranks well below safety concerns about drugs, alcohol, crime and other campus issues.”  According to Rouse, college fires should move up to the top of parents’ and university housing concerns since 72 percent of college campus fires are cooking related.

“With many students living in off campus apartments, parents and university officials should know that 60 percent of apartment fires are started by cooking equipment,” said Rouse. “There are so many distractions for young adults in today’s busy world – texting, answering an email, friends come to visit – they begin to cook a meal and easily forget about it.  Next thing you know, whoosh, a fire starts consuming the stove, curtains and other flammable material in the kitchen,” he said. The National Fire Protection Association says that cooking causes almost half of all fire fatalities each year, and 20 percent of fire deaths are drug or alcohol related.

“These statistics are the core of our “Guardian Solution,’ or range top suppression system which can be easily installed or retrofitted into new or older student housing,” said Rouse. “The time to protect college students against a range top fire is before it strikes.  By simply installing the Guardian, colleges and universities, as well as apartment owners who cater to college kids, can rest at ease knowing that potential cooking fires stand no chance in a Guardian protected kitchen.” See how the Guardian works here.

The Guardian is designed to detect and extinguish cooking fires and at the same time prevents re-ignition. Once it detects heat at a pre-determined temperature, a signal is sent to release the extinguishing agent to suppress the fire and to shut off the gas or electric supply to the stove in order to prevent reigniting. 

“Putting the fire out quickly is imperative to minimize damage and injury to students,” Rouse said. “The Guardian system provides that speed and protection.”

No posts to display