University of Cincinnati Student Dies from Injuries in New Year’s Day Fire

By Ed Comeau
Campus Firewatch

Chad Kohls, a student at the University of Cincinnati, died on January 7 from a fire in an off-campus house. The fire was reported at 6:50 a.m. on New Year’s Day at 2824 Digby Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio. Upon arrival, fire crews found a working fire on the second floor of a three-story, multi-family building with multiple reports of people trapped on the third floor. According to the fire department, following an aggressive interior attack, four occupants were rescued and three others had been able to escape from the fire prior to the fire department’s arrival. Three people were transported to a hospital. One had minor injuries and two others two were in critical condition, Kohls, 21, and Ellen Garner, 20, who is still in critical condition.

The fire, which was brought under control in 10 minutes, was determined to have been caused by a space heater being placed too close to bedding material on the second floor.

This is the third fatal campus-related fire of the 2012-2013 academic year, with four people having been killed in fires. Since 2000, 159 people have died in campus-related fires across the nation. More information is available on the Current Fire Information page of Campus Firewatch including a map, compilation and Information Sheet.

More details on the fire will be provided by Campus Firewatch as they become available and will be posted at under “Breaking News” and on Twitter @campusfirewatch and Facebook

No posts to display