The Jersey City (NJ) Fire Department operates this HACKNEY hazmat unit to address the many hazards present in a large urban and industrial city, says Battalion Chief Andrew Johnson, apparatus officer. The city’s major roads as well as city streets are transportation routes for hazardous materials.
Photo by author.
Photo by author.
- FREIGHTLINER M2 112 chassis tractor with 186-inch wheelbase and five-seat cab;
- CATERPILLAR C 13 410-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVP automatic transmission;
- 39-foot Model TC 1682 trailer with overhead compartment doors, a fold-down, rapid-deploy observation platform on roof, and rear indoor command center with DAVIS INSTRUMENTS Vantage Pro 2 Plus digital weather station;
- refrigerator for hydration;
- rack for 27 spare SCBA cylinders;
- KK PRODUCTS Pro/Pak portable foam application system; and
- light and power with ONAN 25-kw pto generator, WILL BURT Night Scan, six WHELEN fixed scene lights, and two HAVIS SHIELDS COLLINS tripod floodlights on trailer (one front and rear).
The Barrow County (GA) Fire Department designed this HME pumper with a top-mount panel for safety and overall visibility, says Chief Robert Post. It has a larger water tank for response to areas without public water mains and responds to medical, extrication, and hazmat calls.
- Model 1871 P2 chassis with 213-inch wheelbase and 12-inch raised-roof cab with six seats and a medical cabinet;
- CUMMINS ISC 350-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 3000 EVS automatic transmission;
- HALE Qflo single-stage, 1,250-gpm pump with 2½-inch front discharge (reduced to 1¾ inch for jumpline), two 1¾-inch speedlays, midship HANNAY booster reel with one-inch hose, 2½-inch rear discharge, and AKRON Apollo deck gun;
- APR 750-gallon water tank with through-the-tank storage for ground ladders, backboards, and pike poles;
- HURST tools;
- ZOLL AED;
- GORTITE roll-up compartment doors and four wheel well sleeves for spare SCBA cylinders; and
- light and power with HONDA 2.3-kw gasoline-driven generator, FRC brow light, two AKRON telescoping floodlights at front of body, and one UNITY hosebed light.
The Boynton Beach (FL) Fire Rescue Department designed these two MEDTEC ambulances to respond to all motor vehicle accidents, structure fires, and ALS medical emergencies, explains PIO Stephen M. Lewis. The Type 1 medium-duty size allows three firefighters to respond seated in the cab rather than the module for safety. They also carry a foam unit to extinguish small brush and vehicle fires.
- INTERNATIONAL 4300 LP chassis with 205-inch wheelbase and extended three-seat cab;
- cab extension with GORTITE roll-up doors, which stores two SCBAs, handlights, and turnout gear;
- INTERNATIONAL DT 466 220-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 2240 automatic transmission;
- Model AD 170 module design;
- FERNO 35A ambulance cot;
- MEDTRONIC Life Pak 12 cardiac monitor;
- TRIMAX 20-gallon CAFS; and
- six WHELEN fixed scene lights.
The Yorkville (NY) Fire Department replaced an old pumper with this SMEAL rescue pumper. Chief Joe Morosco says it is first due to fires and vehicle accidents. The body design affords more compartment space.
- SPARTAN Gladiator chassis with 205-inch wheelbase and 10-inch raised roof cab with eight seats;
- DETROIT Series 60 455-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVSP automatic transmission;
- WATEROUS CSU single-stage, 1,500-gpm pump with HYPRO Foam Pro 2002 system, 1¾-inch front bumper line, three crosslays (two 1¾-inch and one 2½-inch), two rear 2½-inch discharges, and AKRON Apollo deck gun;
- UPF 750-gallon water and 20-gallon foam tanks;
- ROBINSON roll-up compartment doors and four wheel well sleeves for eight spare SCBA cylinders;
- HURST rescue tool; and
- light and power with HARRISON 10-kw hydraulic generator, seven FRC scene lights (one brow and six on body), 10 WHELEN scene lights on body and cab, and two HANNAY electric cord reels.
The Suisun City (CA) Fire Department designed this FERRARA platform in mid-mount fashion to fit in the station, explains Chief Mike O’Brien. It is the department’s first aerial type truck; they wanted a platform for added safety in operating and a pump for versatility.
- Inferno MFD chassis with 250-inch wheelbase and six-seat cab;
- CUMMINS ISM 500-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000EVS automatic transmission;
- HALE Qmax single-stage, 1,500-gpm pump with 1¾-inch front bumper line, and two 1¾-inch crosslays;
- UPF 300-gallon water tank;
- Model HD-100 platform with 19-foot outrigger spread, 500-pound wet and 1,000-pound dry payload capacities, ELKHART Scorpion monitor, and 500-pound rapelling arm;
- roof ladder and Stokes litter storage on base section of aerial device;
- INTEC backup camera;
- four wheel well sleeves for spare SCBA cylinders; and
- light and power with HARRISON 10-kw, hydraulic generator, eight FRC floodlights (three brow on cab, two each telescoping at rear of cab and platform, and two under platform), and two HAVIS SHIELDS COLLINS spot/floodlights on ladder midship.
The Lake Ozark (MO) Fire Protection District designed this PRECISION FIRE APPARATUS rescue truck to replace a smaller truck and an enclosed trailer. Chief Mark Amsinger says it has a walk-through to carry rope equipment and other sensitive inventory inside for more protection as well as for rehab.
- SPARTAN Gladiator chassis with 210-inch wheelbase and six-seat cab with 20-inch raised roof;
- CUMMINS ISM 500-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVS automatic transmission;
- 24-foot walk-through body with six seats, ROBINSON roll-up compartment doors, wheel well sleeves for storing 10 spare SCBA cylinders, and two hand fire extinguishers;
- additional storage for 12 spare SCBA cylinders;
- four-bottle 6,000-psi air cascade system with SIERRA booster and BAUER fill station;
- 250-pound oil absorbent compartment at left rear;
- TNT hydraulic spreader and power unit in front bumper;
- front-mounted RAMSEY six-ton winch;
- four CMW reels (two hydraulic, one electric, and one low-pressure air);
- Gin pole setup (a two-pole “A” frame using two receiver hitches on either side of the truck used to set up a rope system if they have to operate over an embankment); and
- light and power with ONAN 35-kw pto-driven generator, SVI Command Light, seven HAVIS SHIELDS COLLINS floodlights (one brow, four scene on body, and two rear on tripods), and 10 WHELEN fixed scene lights on the body.
The Bristol (CT) Fire Department protects a 100-percent suburban area. Chief Jon Pose says the department preferred a platform configuration for the E-ONE aerial device instead of a straight ladder to provide a safer work area for personnel.
- Cyclone II chassis with 245-inch wheelbase and six-seat cab;
- DETROIT Series 60 515-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVS-P automatic transmission;
- 95-foot platform with 1,025-pound payload capacity and 13-foot, eight-inch outrigger spread;
- AKRON Stream Master monitor on platform;
- eight wheel well sleeves for spare SCBA cylinders and a storage rack for 21 additional cylinders;
- HURST rescue tools; and
- light and power with HARRISON 10-kw hydraulic generator, five HAVIS SHIELDS COLLINS floodlights (two at rear of cab; three on platform), four FEDERAL scene lights (two each on cab and on top of body over rear axle), and two HANNAY electric cord reels.
The Mahopac Falls (NY) Fire Department uses this MARION BODY WORKS, INC. pumper/tanker as a first-out pumper from its station, explains Truck Chairman Jim McGinty. It is used as a tanker when it is second-due on a fire call.
- SPARTAN Gladiator chassis with 208-inch wheelbase and six-seat cab with 10-inch raised roof;
- CATERPILLAR C 13 525-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVS automatic transmission;
- HALE Qmax single-stage, 1,500-gpm pump with two crosslays (one each 1¾-inch and 2½-inch), 1¾-inch speedlay with pull-out tray, one 2½-inch preconnect with a wye connection for hotel packs to be used with set back houses, rear LDH discharge, and TFT Hurricane RC monitor with Extenda-Gun;
- UPF 2,500-gallon water tank that has a 2½-inch direct tank fill with five-inch adaptor and one 10-inch rear NEWTON dump valve;
- through-the-tank storage for pike poles and hard suction hose;
- ZICO electric ladder rack;
- ROBINSON roll-up compartment doors and three wheel well sleeves for spare SCBA cylinders;
- PHILLIPS AED; and
- light and power with ONAN 10-kw hydraulic generator, four FRC floodlights (two extendable at rear of cab and two fixed in dunnage area), and four FEDERAL scene lights (one on each side of the body and two at rear).
The Dubuque (IA) Regional Airport uses this ROSENBAUER crash truck to fulfill the FAA’s Index “A” requirement which, as explained by Todd Dalsing of the Airport Operations/Maintenance Supervisor’s office, exceeds the class of the facility. It responds to structure and aircraft fires and emergencies.
- Panther model with 189-inch wheelbase and four-seat cab;
- DETROIT Series 60 655-hp diesel engine and TWIN DISK six-speed automatic transmission with power divider;
- four-wheel-drive and pump-and-roll capability;
- ROSENBAUER R 600 single-stage, 1,850-gpm pump with 1¾-inch preconnect;
- ROSENBAUER automatic foam proportioning system and 500 pounds of dry chemical with twinned dual agent reel;
- CRASH RESCUE EQUIPMENT SERVICE Rhino Model low-attack bumper turret with hydrochem technology and Torrent Model dual-flow roof turret 375 to 750 gpm;
- UPF 1,500-gallon water and 200-gallon foam tanks;
- ROBINSON roll-up compartment doors;
- SAFETY VIEW back-up camera;
- CRASH RESCUE EQUIPMENT SERVICE; Driver’s Enhanced Vision System with FLIR camera
- High-Performance Coil Spring Supervisor System; and
- light and power with ONAN 10-kw hydraulic generator, four FRC floodlights (two each brow and on top of body), and one HANNAY electric cord reel.
The Roxand Township (MI) Fire Department uses this 1st ATTACK ENGINEERING brush truck to protect rural farmland, which covers most of the department’s 76 square-mile response area, explains Assistant Chief Wes “Luke” Waldo. It also provides mutual aid for structure and grass fires and is used as a personnel carrier when only staffing is needed.
- FORD F-350 XL Super Duty 4 × 4 chassis with 176-inch wheelbase and five-seat cab;
- FORD Triton 6.8L V-10 gasoline engine with automatic transmission;
- pump-and-roll capability;
- DARLEY 2BE single-stage, 380-gpm pump with 20-hp HONDA engine, 1¾-inch booster reel, and two one-inch preconnects behind the cab by the safety jump seats;
- APR 200-gallon water tank;
- SCOTTY foam induction system with five-gallon tank;
- Brush guard with foam-capable integrated ground sweep nozzles;
- WARN 4½-ton portable winch with front and rear receivers; and
- two FRC telescoping floodlights and five AUTOPAL scene lights (three facing rear and two on brush guard).
The United Arab Emerates (UAE) Armed Forces, Dubai, UAE, has in service several FORT GARRY FIRE TRUCKS ARFF initial attack pumpers. Contract Administrator Tarrent Rempel says they are used to protect the Sheikh’s palaces and helicopter pads. Each has an enclosed pump panel to protect it from the elements.
- GMC 4500 chassis with 152-inch wheelbase and two-seat cab;
- GENERAL MOTORS Vortec 8.1L 325-hp gasoline engine with ALLISON 1000 RDS automatic transmission;
- DARLEY HM single-stage, 250-gpm pump with NORDIC foam system, and 300-pound dry chemical system with handline on reel;
- WELLINGTON PLASTICS 400-gallon water and 50-gallon foam tanks
- AMDOR roll-up compartment doors; and
- two FRC telescoping floodlights behind cab.
Fannett Metal Fire & Ambulance, Spring Run, Pennsylvania, replaced an old converted oil tanker with this KME pumper/tanker. Captain Jason S. Peterson says the rural area has about 12 hydrants, and the main water sources are small creeks and ponds which are unreliable because of weather and terrain. The vehicle can be used as a supply or an attack piece.
- WESTERN STAR 4900A chassis with 250-inch wheelbase and two-seat cab;
- DETROIT Series 60 EGR 515-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVS-P automatic transmission;
- HALE Qflo single-stage, 1,250-gpm pump with two 1½-inch crosslays and 1½-inch trashline in right side running board;
- UPF 3,500-gallon propylene with fiberglass wrap water tank;
- three 10-inch NEWTON dump valves (sides electrically operated, rear manual);
- ZIAMATIC rack with 3,500-gallon FOL-DA-TANK; and
- six WHELEN scene lights at top of tank (two each left, right and rear).