Arizona Firefighter Injured in Mobile Home Fire

An Arizona firefighter was injured battling a mobile home fire, in which three dogs are still missing, reports azfamily.com

Aerial video from the scene showed flames ripping through the home, spreading to nearby trees and threatening at least one neighboring home.

Trailers in mobile home parks are generally situated quite close to each other, which can make things tricky for firefighters. But that wasn’t the only issue facing fire crews, who were on the scene less than six minutes after receiving the call.

“What I’m looking at right now is another firefighter nightmare, which is bars on all of the windows and across the front door,” Rural Metro spokesman Colin Williams said minutes after arriving on the scene.

The home was fully engulfed in flames by the time crews got there. That forced them to go defensive immediately and kept them from ever going inside.

Significant winds fanned the already fast-moving flames.

“I can’t believe how windy the conditions are,” Williams said. “No doubt that’s definitely helped spread this fire.”

Crews were still doing mop-up work nearly three hours after arriving on the scene.

“Anything we don’t physically put out with a lot of water is going to spread,” Williams said, explaining how the wind complicated an already difficult situation.

Despite everything working against them, firefighters were able to contain the bulk of the flames to the one home.

A neighbor’s cargo trailer was destroyed, but crews saved the residence.

The home where the fire started, however, burned to the ground. The fire destroyed two cars and quite a bit of vegetation, as well.

According to Williams, the homeowners, both of whom are reportedly in their 70s, were already awake and in the front part of the trailer when the fire started. Their smoke detector went off, alerting them to the smoke building in the back of their trailer and giving them just enough time to escape. Their three dogs, however, are missing.

One firefighter was injured.

“Sheet metal from the wall or from the ceiling actually came down, slicing through his glove and going all the way to the bone in his hand, so right in the palm of his hand,” Williams said.

That firefighter was taken to a local hospital to get stitches. He is expected to recover.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/131apwf

Previous articlePatti Maguire Joins NFPA’s Firewise Communities Program as Regional Advisor
Next articleBudget Cuts Stretch Fresno (CA) Fire Department

No posts to display