by George De La Torre
At approximately 4:06 p.m. Monday, firefighters were dispatched to a house fire at 2315 Villa Plata Drive in El Paso, Texas, after reports of heavy smoke were made to 911 by neighbors.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw large flames and heavy smoke coming from the rear of a single-story home. One adult male was inside the home at the time of the fire and safely self-evacuated. The occupant smelled smoke in the home and when he went to go check on where the smell was coming from he saw the attached washroom fully engulfed.
The fire spread throughout the home causing extensive fire and smoke damage throughout. A fire investigator determined the fire was accidental and caused by smokers’ carelessness. A cigarette was not properly extinguished in the washroom, which caused the stored combustibles to ignite. Damages are estimated at $80,000.00. No injuries were reported.
Approximately 10 fire units and 25 firefighters responded to the scene.
For more on the hazards of smoking and improper disposal of smoking materials, consider NFPA Study Finds A Stunning Increase In Cigarette -Caused Fires, Oxygen Tanks Explode in Back of Car When NJ Man Lights Cigarette , “Fire-Safe” Cigarettes Major Contributor to 30-Year Low in Smoking Material Fire Deaths, and Wyoming Passes Fire-Safe Cigarette Legislation.
For more recent fire incidents in El Paso, consider El Paso (TX) Firefighters Respond to House Fire, Firefighters Rescue Victim from El Paso (TX) Fire – Fire Engineering, and El Paso (TX) Firefighters Rapidly Control Fire That Began in Garage.
For more on fire extension, consider Fires Below the Residential First Floor, COLLAPSE AND FIRE EXTENSION IN WOOD-FRAME CONSTRUCTION, and Drill of the Week: Building Construction and Fire Behavior, Scenario 5.