To help with the “rainy, windy, snowy” or when nothing is on the drill schedule days, we are providing a year of weekly skill drills that can be locally adapted and modified to help get some training out to your crews. These skill drills are simple to build and should reference applicable department SOG, manufacturer instructions, and local practice for the each skill level. Some ideas for implementing this simple system include:
- Use the skill in a scenario
- Locate the tool or equipment in the rig, take out, demonstrate use and proper return to use
- Troubleshoot the tool or equipment or skill identifying things that can go wrong and how to overcome
- Discuss all safety policies and practices for skill or equipment
- Discuss where you get the tool or who would perform the skill if you do not have the equipment, apparatus or personnel
This simple process makes training accessible and can be put to work by any member of your department.
Download this week’s firefighter training drill as a PDF HERE.