This drill will help you set up training sessions for next year. You will assign a type of tool or equipment to each month and run through all operating characteristics of each piece of equipment during the month. Several tiers of training can emerge from this, including safety, operations, maintenance, and servicing of the equipment. For each type of equipment, it is important to cover the “Big 5” knowledge and skill areas with any training on equipment. These areas are:
1. Proper Use (normal conditions)
2. Proper Care (washing, drying, inspections)
3. Proper Maintenance (repairs, refueling, recharging, inspection, service)
4. Equipment Capabilities (safe operating ranges)
5. Equipment Limitations (Do Not’s)
Each of these areas is different and your manufacturers should be able to provide very specific information on those areas. Develop a local lesson plan for each type of equipment and include a practical skill checklist for the safe operation of each type of equipment.
Download this week’s firefighter training drill as a PDF HERE.