By Forest Reeder
Watching a brand new recruit academy study terms and principles made me think of the popular TV game show “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?” This week’s training drill pits our firefighting veterans against our rookies and challenges them to identify some basic terms and principles. Though basic in nature, each piece of equipment or operation carries a “journeyman” or “in the streets” use or story. Challenge both the rookies and the vets to look at the question and to put the tool or equipment to work in the streets.
- How do we use it in our department?
- Where is it kept on the apparatus?
- What safety information do I need to know?
- What type of operations or situations is it used in?
- Are there different types or brands in use that change any of your answers?
- What maintenance and inspections need to take place?
Download this firefighter training drill as a PDF HERE.